Written on Trip Day 2
Of course the day before I leave for Canada, sunbathers are out in Central Park enjoying the 80 degree weather. But I cannot complain about the chilly 38 degree weather here, after all, a trip is a trip! These are all of the items that I took with me on a four day trip.
The packing list:
I always make a packing list, either hand written or on my phone. This helps to ensure that I won’t forget anything (“anything” usually meaning my toothbrush). Plus crossing things off lists is very satisfying.
The travel outfit:
I have spent enough years overpacking for trips, and have learned what I use and what I don’t. Because it is in the mid 40s to low 50s where I am staying, pants and layers are a must. On the plane, I am wearing thermal pants, a thin wool turtle neck and the jewelry I will be taking. A hair clip is a must for me. I am also wearing a light wool jacket and scarf.
The house I am staying in has a washing machine, so that helped me pack light.
All together I am taking:
- 1 pair of thermal pants
- 1 nice/ thin pair of pants
- 2 T-shirts
- 1 thin wool turtleneck
- 1 thin sweater and sweatpants for lounging/ sleeping
- 1 thick wool sweater
- underwear for everyday, because you just never know
- 3 pairs of socks, and 2 bras.
- light walking shoes
Final assessment: I didn’t need the thinner pair of pants or second bra.
Besides clothes, these are my other necessities.
- Passport and wallet
- iPod, headphone, and charger
- Boar bristle brush
- Lip balm, hand cream, and coconut oil to make sure I stay moisturized
- Small perfume, mints, and a dish for my watch and jewelry
- Sunglasses and gloves
Final assessment: I ended up not actually taking the instant camera, or the hat, but I used everything else shown.
The art supplies:
I have started a travel journal, and I am bringing supplies to be able to add to it.
The forgotten bits:
Despite having a packing list, there are always a few items that you are thankful to remember last minute.
- Hand sanitizer is a must
- A comb is very, very necessary for me
- Somehow, someone always needs tissues
- Extra plastic bags and a ziplock bag
- A hair tie to keep my hair in a braid when I sleep
- Pocket hand warmers are just awesome. Not necessary, but amazing when you’re walking around outside all day.
The fun part:
Fitting it all in a carry on.
I put my sneakers, clothes, toiletries and makeup, and brush into my carry on. I used a small Herschel duffle bag. All my other bits and bobs went into my backpack. I forgot to take a photo of that but just imagine anything that is not in the photo above, in a large gray backpack.
Stay tuned for how I packed my toiletries!